One thing that is true of the promotional products industry is there are literally THOUSANDS of products! It’s easy to search and search for the perfect idea with so many choices, which can get a bit overwhelming.
That’s where we come in. We sort through the latest ideas for 2015 and organize them into categories to make it easier for you to find what applies to your school and organization. We did just this with our notes and pictures from the PPAI Expo to highlight several trends and top promotional ideas for admissions departments.
New Ideas for Admissions
Starting at the top left, we’ll discuss how each promotional idea relates to admissions marketing.
- Custom Imprinted Box – 3D direct mail really makes a statement. We’ve seen some creative admissions acceptance mailings, and we think a custom imprinted box would be a fun way to say, “You’re IN!” For a smaller sized mailing, we especially like the Greeting Cube, which can be imprinted on both the inside and outside of the box. A higher value mailing could also be used to target specific student populations at various stages of the enrollment funnel. According to the Direct Marketing Association, 3D mailings receive a 250% better response rate than standard mail, so it’s a great way to keep prospective students engaged with your school. For more direct mail ideas, see our Direct Mail Showroom.
- Mini Polaroid Camera – as we talked about in Help Students Picture Their Future at your School, a Polaroid camera would be a fun way to instantly provide a picture to a prospective student visiting campus.
- Tech Tattoos – These ultra removable decals are an inexpensive, safe and easy way to personalize electronic gadgets. The stickers are designed for laptops, tablets, e-readers, cell phones, music players, game consoles, and more. People love to show school spirit on their devices, making these tech tattoos ideal for prospective students (either in a direct mail piece with information or an event handout). We also would recommend custom sticker sheets, such as the ones Wartburg College created with us.
- Luggage Tag – These high quality, embroidered luggage tags are a favorite idea for admitted students. It could easily be used in a get ready to “pack your bags” and come to our school themed event or mailing.
- Custom Pen Holder – Do you have a landmark on campus that would make a fun, custom pen holder? This is a unique idea for high school couselors. There are so many options – check out the catalog here. Desk items are a gold standard among promotional products, meaning your brand gains more exposure when its displayed on a desk.
- DigiClean Mailer – We’ve written about the DigiClean many times (NACAC Top Products, DigiClean Testimonials, as one of our most popular tech screen cleaning promotional items. DigiClean products come affixed to a direct mail card, so additional school information can be promoted on a larger space than the DigiClean itself. DigiClean and DigiGrip are items that literally “stick around” and resonate with tech-savvy prospective students. Click here for a link to the DigiClean Showroom.
Which items are you most interested in for your school or college? Let us know if you’ve seen any unique promotional products that colleges are using in the comments below.
Looking for more product ideas? See our Top New Promotional Products for Colleges blog post.
As we mentioned in a previous post, Michael Wolaver and Pat Conley from our sales team attended the PPAI Expo in January. There they visited with promotional product suppliers to learn about what’s new and trending for 2015. After sharing their long list of products and reviewing pictures, we came up with ten awesome new products that any business could incorporate into marketing plans.
2015 New Promotional Products
It’s probably no surprise that more than half of the ten top new items are related to technology. Year after year the number of tech promotional products continues to grow and innovate. Heading up our list are the tech items.
1. Cell Mate Phone Wallet and Stand
This Phone Wallet was one of our favorite products of 2014. Available March 2015, the Cell Mate Phone Wallet is a multi-tasker because it can open up to be used as a phone stand.
It’s bi-fold design also means more security than the phone wallet we saw in 2014. Cards and cash are safely stowed with less risk of falling out. Leather material also provides a higher-end look and feel.
2. Mobile Device Cleaning Kit
While we LOVE the DigiClean smartphone cleaning pad, we really liked the look and convenience of this device cleaning kit.
Neatly packaged inside a pouch comes a lint free, microfiber cloth and a 6.75 mL spray cleaner. The cleaner is safe for electronics, alcohol free and non-toxic. It cleans and sanitizes at the same time, keep your device smudge-free,
and safe from bacteria that causes illness.
3. Solar Power Banks
We’ve seen more and more interest in on the go chargers. One of the newest iterations is a solar powered charger.
These power banks use Monocrystal silicon solar panels, which efficiently convert sunlight to energy. The compact battery can charge any mobile device from smart phones to iPads and tablets. The Solar Power Bank comes individually boxed with a USB cable, so it’s easy to handout.
4. Leather Swivel & Stand Tablet Holder
Do you ever wish a tablet holder could accommodate both vertical and horizontal orientations? The Eclipse Swivel & Stand Tablet Holder can do just that!
Here’s a quick video demonstration of the product:
5. Lynktec Stylus Pen
Here’s a high quality stylus pen with a very fine point for more accurate contact with a smartphone or device.
The DigiClean Screen Cleaner is one of our most popular promotional items. When a new product in this same line was introduced, we decided to take a closer look. The DigiGrip Plus Anti-Slip Wipes is a screen cleaner AND a phone grip that sticks to your phone, including most cases, even if rubberized or heavily textured.
Similar to the DigiClean Plus, it includes full color, two sided imprint, including the sticky side that adheres to your device. Photos, QR codes, phone numbers, and locations can easily be imprinted on the DigiGrips Wipe itself or on the included custom 3.5″ x 6″ Marketing Card or 2″ x 3.5″ Business Card!
7. Cooling Towel
This promotional product is something you have to physically touch to believe! Michael demonstrated the Chilly iCool Towel in the office, and we were all impressed!
The towel can absorb eight times its weight in water and keeps cool as the water evaporates. It can continue cooling for hours as long as the towel is kept damp. The chemical-free design is biodegradable and machine washable. Store the clean, moist towel in its original package to get years of reliable use. Pretty cool, huh?!
8. Tritan Tumbler
This is a classic style, higher end tumbler that keeps drinks colder since it is lined with a double wall. This means your hand does not warm up the glass when holding on to it.
We recently created a tumbler for Western Racquet Club, using their logo on an embroidered patch. Learn more about that project in our case study.
9. Hustle Duffel Bag
We like this affordable duffel bag as an alternative to an event tote bag.
This sports bag has a roomy main compartment and a mesh outer pocket. Available in six colors.
10. Puffy Vest
This lightweight, packable vest caught our eye. The shell of the vest is made from recycled PET bottles.
Premium insulation provides warmth without the bulk of other puffy vests.
From tech items to drinkware, our top ten new promotional products for 2015 spanned across a lot of categories and price points. Which promo product would you want to include in your branding and marketing? Comment below and let us know your favorite!
Need more SWAG ideas? Call our Idea Explorers at 414-831-0184.
One of first questions that comes to mind when selecting promotional items is:
What are we going to give our target audience?
With over 24,000+ items available, this can be a daunting question.
As promotional Idea Explorers, we love to investigate options to help you answer this question. With a little background information on the your audience and desired distribution, we go to work discovering the best promotional products for you.
There are MANY Right Answers
We discover and present several options for you to review, selecting items that can effectively target the lifestyle, needs, values, and aspirations of your audience. The better you know your audience, the more tailored the promotional item can be. While still being brand-related, promotional items should be relevant and useful. In almost every case, promotional products are appreciated, as a tangible “gift” from your organization. Nevertheless, the right idea and quality does impact usage and effectiveness, so it’s important to select and invest wisely.
Consider these two statistics from PPAI industry research:
- 53% of consumers use promotional items ONCE a WEEK or more!
- 47% of consumers KEEP promotional items for ONE YEAR or longer!
Promotional items have a high potential frequency and longevity! The right item can be used again and again, exposing your brand to your prospects or customers on a regular basis. Compared to other media, promotional products have a relatively low cost and provide repeated exposure to a message, since items are kept for so long – that’s effective advertising!
Case Study: Finding a Prized Tech Item
To illustrate how well-selected promotional ideas help promote your brand, we share a case study from the University of Minnesota’s Student Unions & Activities. They needed an item to increase awareness of their brand and encourage involvement from college students, faculty, and staff. Learn how Magellan Promotions account manager shared a top tech product idea that became the perfect prize for the Student Unions & Activities contest. Read Case Study.