In an increasingly digital world, many traditional brochures and multi-page books are being adapted for an online format. Many colleges are following this trend and taking their viewbooks online. There are many benefits to digital viewbooks, including:
- Reduce overall print costs
- Cost savings on postage for both domestic and international students
- Easier to correct online publications with updates
Cost reduction and ease of updates are certainly appealing to many schools. However, one question often remains before schools make the transition to digital viewbooks:
How will students find the online viewbook?
Beyond simple links throughout the website, many schools are looking for a tangible item that can replace a hard copy viewbook or large printed catalog. One promotional product solution that is ideal for driving web traffic to a specific URL is an item called the webkey.
Similar to the look of a USB drive, a webkey is pre-programmed with a URL that automatically takes users to your viewbook (or whatever site you specify) when plugged into a USB port. While a USB drive could also store many e-publications, a webkey is a more affordable solution with a longer shelf-life than a USB port because the programmed URL can simply be updated with the latest viewbook. To make it easier to handout or mail, a webkey can come pre-attached to a full color postcard, which can provide instructions on how to use it.
More Tracking Options
Want to track opens, and add in survey questions? There’s an upgraded webkey called the iCue that can do that. Since it’s often difficult to track the effectiveness of a printed viewbook, a webkey powered viewbook can provide detailed tracking through an administrators page.
Here are a few highlights of the iCue:
- Better Tracking – when the webkey is plugged into a computer, data will be sent to the administrator’s page. This will provide data on the number of impressions or view rate as a result of your webkey.
- Optional one-time registration allows for collecting additional data about your target audience. From the admin page, you can easily add and customize the desired questions. The collected data will show up in the admin page, giving information on which recipients used the product, making it very easy to schedule follow-up calls or emails with these contacts.
- Easy Contest Administration – using the admin panel, you can track who opened and registered on your site, which makes it easy to hold a drawing for a prize incentive. Promote the drawing on an included 5×7 postcard to encourage visits. Incentives for students include: coupon to your university book store, waive or reduce the application fee, voucher for athletic events, or branded promotional items.
Webkey Case Study
One case study describes how Milwaukee School of Engineering used web keys to successfully promote and drive traffic to a new admissions website. Web keys were the ideal solution for MSOE – seamlessly directing users their new Bridge site. Read more about how MSOE Admissions used the webkey here.
If you’re interested in a trackable, engaging promotional item for directing your target audience to an online viewbook, a webkey is THE ideal solution. View the links below for more product information, or contact us to further discuss your online marketing strategies.
Links for More Information
- Webkeys and Direct Mail Premiums – See the two webkeys listed in the top line.
- Enhancing International Student Recruitment with Promotional Marketing